Monday, April 16

They're Back

American Goldfinches are pretty common birds during the winter months and I had my fair share this past winter. I haven't seen any since late February so it was an treat to see several at the feeders over the weekend. The males begin to look quite different as they molt into their breeding plumage. Other feeder birds included my FOS (first of season) Indigo Bunting, Northern Cardinal, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, Chipping Sparrow, House Finch, Brown-headed Cowbird, Common Grackle, Blue Jay, Mourning Dove and Inca Dove. There were plenty of fly over Black and Turkey Vultures but no kettles of migrating hawks. Speaking of hawks, I saw the Red-shouldered Hawk on its nest. Almost forgot the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. Saw three males at once on one occasion but still haven't seen a female ruby-throat.

I made a brief walk to the woods and heard a White-eyed Vireo but could never see it. I looked for 15 minutes while it called but could never get a look at it. Also had a FOS Prothonotary Warbler dart in front of me down by the pond. A lingering Yellow-rumped Warbler was foraging down by the sough along with a couple of Northern Cardinals and Blue Jays while a Carolina Wren worked a brush pile. Only came across a few butterflies like this Little Wood-Satyr. Also saw more Pearl Crescents, Eastern Tiger Swallow-tails and Cloudless Sulphur.

No comments: